Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Recipe Wednesday

So far, it's been a week of comfort food in this little house. I am craving grilled cheese sandwiches and grapefruit juice pretty much nonstop, and Christmas is gettin' me more sentimental than is usual. Think of me what you will. These are the facts.

This week, I invite you to indulge in my indulgences ... the grilled fried egg and cheese sammich and my mom's sugar cookies (which are pretty unbeatable, if you ask me). Stretchy pants and a good holiday movie are not required to enjoy these tasty treats, but they are highly recommended.

GRILLED FRIED EGG AND CHEESE SAMMICH

I know this recipe is simple, but I love it so freakin' much, it bears recording.

2 slices good bread (seriously ... use good bread ... for real)
Butter
1 egg
salt and pepper
1 slice of cheese (I like something sharp like cheddar or colby to temper the mellow flavor of the egg, but I am certainly not the boss of you)

Fry the egg however you like. I use cooking spray in a non-stick pan and medium-high heat. I also break the yolk and salt and pepper the egg.

Heat pan to medium. Butter slices of bread. Place one piece of bread, butter side down, in pan. Layer with cheese and egg. Put other slice of bread on top, butter side up. Heat both sides until bread is golden and cheese is melted.

***********

SUGAR COOKIES

2/3 c. shortening
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
4 tsp. milk
2 c. sifted flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 375°. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together shortening and sugar. Add egg and stir (I use a wooden spoon) until blended. Add milk and vanilla and stir until blended. Gradually add flour mixture until all ingredients are blended and you have an even dough. Form dough into a ball and wrap with waxed paper, parchment, plastic wrap, foil, etc. Refrigerate for at least one hour.

Roll out dough on a floured surface until about 1/4" thick (this is not an exact science, so don't be afraid to fudge this thickness). Cut into desired shapes with cutters (or freehand!). Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes.

Cool and decorate!

NOTE: This recipe was written in my mom's shorthand. She is an extraordinary and meticulous baker and her cookies are perfect every time, so I've tried my best to give the step-by-step instructions as she makes them.

*********

So there you have it, the culinary keys to my very heart this week. Hope you like 'em and they make you as happy as they're making me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin