Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Recipe Wednesday: Mushroom gravy

Meat.

I'm slacking today. Ron had yesterday and today off, so we're treating these days like a weekend. Unfortunately (and as is wont to be the case), my work is suffering. As you might have noticed, I've not blogged today's recipe.

Fear not, though! We like to make more ambitious meals on these rare days together, so today's recipe is now in the works (or rather, in the oven). For dinner, we're having bacon-wrapped venison roast stuffed with apple-cherry-sage stuffing (pictured above), the best mushroom gravy of all time, roasted root vegetables and wild blueberry muffins for dessert. Sounds like a winter cabin meal doesn't it?

I won't have pretty photos for you until we're just about to dig in, but before we get there, I want to share our mushroom gravy recipe with you. Actually, it's my Grandpa Tink's mushroom gravy recipe. I love this gravy so much; It has a deep, subtle flavor that is both mysterious and addictive. It tastes great over red meat, but I would venture to try it on roast pork or chicken. Or you could just skip the meat altogether like I've been tempted to do so many times. Seriously ... it's that good.

*****************************

GRANDPA TINK'S MUSHROOM GRAVY

1 large container sliced mushrooms
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter
3 beef bouillon cubes
1 c. boiling water
a little pepper
1/2 tsp. dried sweet basil
3 tsp. worcestershire sauce
a little beau monde (a spice mix)
1/2 c. burgundy or red cooking wine
chives
1 Tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in cold water

In a large sauté/frying pan over medium heat, sauté mushrooms in butter. Dissolve bouillon cubes in boiling water and add to mushrooms. Add pepper, basil, worcestershire, beau monde and wine. Sprinkle with chives. Thicken with cornstarch and water mixture. Add water, if needed (you want a sort of medium thickness here).

NOTE: Like the sugar cookies, this recipe was also written in shorthand, so I've tried my best to flesh out a workable recipe for general use. Hope it works, but if it doesn't, let me know!

*****************************

And that's it for now. The roast has about another hour to go, but pictures are coming as soon as it's done. My tummy's a rumblin' just thinkin' about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin