Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Recipe Wednesday: German Chocolate Cake

Image via A PRINT A DAY

'Tis my birthday. That being said, I'm trying to only do the stuff I want to do today. And though I enjoy cooking and baking, I would rather not spend my day in the kitchen, cooking up a treat for Recipe Wednesday. Sooo, I thought I'd share one of my favorite cake recipes, the original German Chocolate Cake recipe, taken straight from the box of Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate.

Did you know the recipe for German Chocolate Cake first appeared in a Dallas newspaper in 1957? It was sent in by an anonymous homemaker and named after the chocolate it uses (which was developed in 1852 by Sam German for Baker's). Who knew this iconic dessert had such an ethereal (and recent) past? I certainly didn't, though I did know that this cake, stuck with pastel birthday candles and carried carefully from kitchen counter to dinner table, has been a staple of my family's birthday celebrations for as long as I can remember.

So though I'm not testing this recipe this particular Wednesday, I've eaten this cake many many times and can tell you, it's as delicious after present opening as it is for breakfast the next morning.

What? ;)

GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE

CAKE INGREDIENTS
1 pkg. Baker's German’s Sweet Chocolate (4 oz.)
1/2 cup water, boiling
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour, all-purpose
1 teaspoon Baking soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 cup buttermilk
Coconut-pecan frosting

FILLING INGREDIENTS
4 egg yolks
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
1-1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 pkg. (7 oz.) shredded coconut
1-1/2 cups chopped pecans

MAKE THE CAKE
Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Line 3 9-inch round layer baking pans that you've lined on the bottom with waxed paper (my mom traces her pans and cuts out the rounds, which is a good idea, methinks).

Melt chocolate in water and cool. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg yolks. Stir in vanilla and melted chocolate.

In a separate bowl, mix flour, soda and salt (I like to sift together). Beat the flour mixture into the wet ingredients in the other bowl a little at a time, alternating with buttermilk.

Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Pour batter into the three prepared pans. Bake for 30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly pressed in the center. Let cool 15 minutes, then remove to a rack to cool.

MAKE THE FILLING
Beat egg yolks, milk and vanilla in large saucepan with wire whisk until well blended. Add sugar and butter. Cook on medium heat 12 min. or until thickened and golden brown, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

Add coconut and pecans and mix well. Cool to room temperature and of desired spreading consistency.

ASSEMBLE THE CAKE
Divide the filling in even thirds. Put the first layer of cake down, then spread one third of filling evenly on top. Repeat with remaining layers

And there you have it, friends: A good cake for special days. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to birthday it up. A happy day to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin