Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Recipe Wednesday: Rainbow Cupcakes

Ever since I posted last weekend's interweb finds, I couldn't get this cake out of my mind. It's so beautiful, so adorable and it looks so delicious. I wanted so desperately to make it, but I wasn't so hot on having a whole cake around the house for me to devour at will. Soooo, I thought, why not make rainbow cupcakes? I can have a couple around here for us to eat and give the rest away. Sewing buddies: you're getting cupcaked this week.

I'd like to pretend I made my own cupcake batter from scratch, but I did not. I used cake mix. Before you scoff, consider this: cake mix is quick, it's delicious, and no one ever knows it's not the real deal. I mean, I'm not one to lie and say I baked cake mix cake from scratch, but if someone wants to assume it, farbeit for me to step in and correct them. ;)

So this week's recipe is not so much a recipe as it is a how-to.


RAINBOW CUPCAKES

You'll need:
The ingredients to make your favorite cupcake batter
food coloring for desired colors (I used red, orange, yellow, green and blue coloring from Wilton)

Divide batter evenly among small bowls. Add food coloring to achieve desired color intensity and blend well.

Starting with the color you want on the bottom, put a small amount of batter in each muffin cup and smooth with your finger (tip: keep a small bowl of water by your work space and wet your finger before smoothing). Repeat with subsequent colors. Bake according to recipe directions. Frost, if desired.


And that's all there is to it! You, too, can yield fancy results from ordinary cupcakes by adding a little extra elbow grease. Rainbow on, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin