Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Recipe Wednesday: Roasted Brussels Sprouts

I know a lot of people don't like Brussels sprouts. While I was preparing these yesterday, Ron told me that they, along with liver, share the seats for the two most hated foods in the United States. Poor Brussels sprouts. Sometimes I think people just don't give 'em a proper chance.

When I was a kid, my mom boiled then buttered and salted them generously. And though it may have been the pool of butter and salt that lured me to Brussels sprouts in the first place, it was their bittersweet nuttiness that kept me coming back for more.

So perhaps it's been a while. Perhaps you haven't tried them since you were a kid. Or perhaps you've had them prepared in a humdrum, boring manner that made them taste and smell like stinky feet. But I beg of you, give them another chance using the following recipe. Who knows? It may be your first step on a long and winding journey with one of the country's most shunned vegetables.


ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS

1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and yellow leaves removed
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400ยบ.

Place trimmed Brussels sprouts, olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl and stir to coat. Pour onto a baking sheet or into a glass or metal pan. Place on center oven rack.

Roast for 30 to 45 minutes, turning every 10 minutes for even browning. Brussels sprouts should be darkest brown with bits of black when done. Serve immediately.


And that's all there is to it. I could eat a whole pan full of them. I've always wanted to have them cold tossed in vinaigrette too, but they never make it to the leftover state. Perhaps you're stronger than I. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin