Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Recipe Wednesday: Redskin potato salad


It's that time of year again! Finally warm enough to fire up the grill and eat on the patio with a plate balanced in your lap and a cold beer by your side. Ron and I love summer cooking, and throughout the course of this season, I'm really looking forward to sharing some of our favorite warm weather dishes. Let's start with an American classic: potato salad.

Though I've always liked potato salad, I have an utter distaste for mayonnaise. I think I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating: to me, mayonnaise is gloopy, eggy and weird unless blended with other ingredients. Enter my Aunt Deb's potato salad ... the perfect savory accompaniment to anything you can throw on the grill (even fish) and good enough to eat all on its own. For reals ... I've done it.

I'm sharing with you my aunt's official recipe which, you can see, is not exactly exact. So I'm also sharing my tips (which you can take or leave, of course).

REDSKIN POTATO SALAD

Boiled redskin potatoes, skins on
Crisp bacon, crumbled
Green onions, chopped
Mayonnaise
Spicy mustard

Mix all ingredients except mustard. Add a little bit of mustard at a time to taste.

MY TIPS:
• Only use enough mayo to kind of moisten the potatoes. The starch from them will blend with the mayo to make a sort of adhesive paste that holds the salad together beautifully. Mmmm ... adhesive paste.
• In regard to the other ingredients, take it slow. Because they're magic together, ideally you don't want any one flavor dominating. I strongly encourage tasting along the way to make sure you get it just how you want it.
• Let the salad sit for a while in the fridge before serving. The flavors will meld and the potatoes will get that awesome, boiled-then-chilled flavor.

And there you have it. Fire up the grill, mix up a batch of tater salad and get to relaxin', dudes. It's about time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin